Team Colorblind is Ben Ruiz and Matthew Wegner, an American independent game development team based in Phoenix, Arizona. They are foolishly attempting to make a game as incredible as Capcom's Aliens Vs. Predator.
Team Colorblind was officially formed in January of 2012. Ruiz and Wegner had been working on the prototype that would eventually be Aztez in late 2010, and raised the private funding for the project in the last second of 2011.
Ruiz and Wegner worked together previously at Flashbang Studios, where Wegner was the studio head and Ruiz acted as Art Director. Together they worked alongside a group of 4 to 5 other developers where they created the seminal library of Blurst.com games (Off-Road Velociraptor Safari, Minotaur China Shop, Blush, Crane Wars, and more) from 2007 to 2009.
Ruiz is a formally educated artist and designer and teaches game production at Phoenix technical schools and universities throughout the year. He is an Independent Games Festival judge and visual art jury member, and spoke at the Independent Games Summit in both 2011 and 2012. He has been working in games since 2004.
Wegner is a highly versatile game and web programmer, studio head, photographer, and large event coordinator. He is a co-chair of the Independent Games Festival, advisor to the Independent Games Summit, and organizer of Unity's annual "Unite" conference. He has been working in games since 2001.
Games (As Flashbang):
- Off-Road Velociraptor Safari
- Minotaur China Shop
- Crane Wars
- And the rest of the games at Blurst.com!
In Aztez, you are responsible for expanding and maintaining the Aztec empire with turn-based strategy gameplay, and managing violent outbreaks in real-time beat 'em up gameplay segments. But your actions in one gameplay type directly affect the other! A game of Aztez doesn't take to long to play, but it is designed to be hugely replayable, as every game of exciting empire management is different from the last; different events will occur, different challenges will emerge, and different spoils will be taken every time you play. Inspired by the timeless surprise gameplay of Weird Worlds: Return To Infinite Space and the deeply and expressive action gameplay of Bayonetta, Aztez is like no other game you've ever played. Key features:
- 4 complete weapon sets: the spear, the club, the ritual knife, and the legendary obsidian sword.
- Finely tuned array of enemies based on the Aztec archetypes: the Eagle warriors, the Jaguar warriors, the Noble warriors, the combat Priests, and more.
- Customizable avatar; beat the gear off of your enemies and wear it!
- 30+ combat environments based on real Aztec cities.
- Kotaku's Highly Positive Aztez Response
- Interview With Ruiz At Gamezone
- Rock Paper Shotgun's Highly Positive Aztez Response
- Phoenix New Times Interview With Ben Ruiz
- Interview With Ruiz At Shogun Gamer
Transparent/Masked Assets For Use: